Sunday, 24 November 2013

Week 4: The Level

It's been weeks since my last update but there isn't much of an update on my project. I can't seem to picture out an environment for a level but I finally settled on one. There was a lot of level hull I tried and scratched everything but then I started to think that I should start on a gameplay list of the level first before I start something. So I started list a flow of the level that I want.

Gameplay flow. Aplogies for a not so clear pic.
The level I had in mind is a simple tutorial level that would introduce the player to the game mechanics and the prototype battle system I developed. The picture is not too clear but the list goes like this:

- Movement Controls [WASD]
- Action Button [E] open chest with weapon
- Equip weapon [Shift]
- Attack Buttons [JKL]
- Introduce Enemy
- Introduce Skill Points
- Skill Shop - Skill Menu
- Enemy Mob
- Health Fountain / Crystal
- Enemy Mob
- Boss

After I have settled on a flow I then designed a level following the flow chart of gameplay on paper by using the list as connections and rooms. Now that I know how the player will be guided through the level, I designed a level geometry on paper as well.

Level list as rooms and connections

Level hull or level geometry
I've decided to split the level into three parts where the first part will include the introductions to movements, actions, attacking and skill points. The second part will be the inside of the skill shop and the third part will be the mobs and the boss which will have its separate room too. Here's some images for this weeks update on the first part of the level.





No comments:

Post a Comment